We are a bit different then the usual cycling websites, not claiming we are the best, as we are not but unique in the way we bring news of local events and riders, and promoting Irish and Belgian Cycling from a different angle. At the 10th Anniversary of the Belgian Project who had his ups and downs, it came apparent that we needed something new as social media is a great thing but restricted. After talks with top website designer Ryan O’ Reilly (Rinky design & Victory Chimp) we decided to go this way and try to get the project recognized towards a wider public.Why are we different ? We are visiting as much events possible( off road in winter and road and track during the spring and summer) and use our own photo’s or guest photographers work, we highlight the human factors of cycling, do our own interviews and promote Irish cycling including youth and woman’s cycling as much we can. We are a non commercial project who donate his profits towards a bursary fund, added by donations of individual companies and supporters. Our sponsors are very important to and we highlight them as much we can. Our photographs are free to download or share..a mention is enough payment for us ..since the start we have now stored over 35000 photos on our http://www.flickr.com/thebelgianproject Please support us as every visit to the website is a valuable way of support and keeps us going. Below the photo an explanation of the project in detail
- What is The Belgian Project about? Its about giving young Irish cycling talent a chance of racing in Europe (Belgium) to gain valuable experience. This includes staying with guest families or supervised accommodation – many friendships has been formed over the years. We select our graduates (between 4-6 each year ) during the first 6 months of the season. We also give small bursaries to help young talent pave a way to bigger things to come.
- We put these graduates in the ultimate shop window of cycling (Flanders). We have achieved pro status for some or full-time riders, many get invited back, and have or race for local top amateur teams since the start in 2008. We also have a media team who report on races trough photographs ,videos and interviews ..this to highlight our independent sponsors and promote Irish cycling to the full. We participate in approx. 60 events including off road, road, and track.
- We are independent ..we can not be influenced by money donations (but gratefully except ) We work with volunteers whom give up their free time to help out when needed. We get advice from big names in the sport and coaches ..this to help us decide who will benefit of our selections.
- We are an all welcome project ..no matter who you are ,what you belief in ..your legs will to the talking .We get supported by many local clubs in N-Ireland and local sponsors, but always look for added support or new sponsors. All our volunteers and principals are vetted (Child protection ) We select on basis of results, team work and character to receive a bursary or graduate status.
- We are Bike Pure ambassadors, and all our selections need to sign the Code of Honour. “Live the Dream” is our motto.
Volunteer of the Year 2012 Cycling Ulster
Volunteer of the Year 2015 Cycling Ireland