All photos below Martine Verfaillie & Info translated from the Sporza TV website
The last question marks have been cleared up: the World Championship cyclocross (January 30-31) in Ostend can continue. As expected, no public will be allowed around the course. “Now we only look ahead and count down the days to the spectacle.”
The World Cup organization has now indeed found an agreement with the International Cycling Union (UCI), Belgian Cycling, the Flemish government, and the City of Ostend.
“All parties involved are making an extra effort”, the organization said in a press release. “For example, the world top of international cyclocross can come to Ostend at the end of January. The World Cup will be followed live from home by the many enthusiasts worldwide.”
“It is impossible to describe how it felt to work towards this decision”, organizer Rik Debeaussaert added. “We are therefore very proud that all the hard work in recent weeks, months and years has finally led to a decision.” We have always believed in it and had explored all the different scenarios“
Organizer Rik Debeaussaert–Tommelein: “Ostend remains the backdrop for a titanic battle”
“All parties have made efforts to make the World Cup possible in these difficult times”, said Flemish Minister of Sport, Ben Weyts (N-VA) “The World Cup is the high mass of the season for our Flemish top riders but also for TV-watching Flanders. Top events like these give us Flemish collective moments of joy.” The Ostend mayor Bart Tommelein was also satisfied that the World Cup could still take place. “No one could have predicted a year ago that we would organize the cyclocross World Cup without an audience, but that is the only right decision today, we had promised that last year and it will remain so, thanks to the efforts of all parties. “